Let’s not even bother sugarcoating it….so far, this winter has been brutal AF.
Two straight weeks of insanely freezing temps, wind chills of -5408548 degrees, snow on the ground that will stick around at least until February – all that good stuff.
And aside from having these icy temps affect our moods (SAD is real, look it up), it is absolutely taking a toll on our skin as well. From the bitter cold outside to the suffocatingly dry heaters and radiators blowing inside, it’s so hard for our skin to catch a break.
So I wanted to share a few of my favorite beauty products that keep skin moisturized, soft, and bright, even on the nastiest winter day. I’m focusing on the face today, but a lot of these products are totally usable on the rest of your body as well.
I’ve also added tips on when to use each product, so you know exactly how to incorporate them into your daily & weekly routine. Fresh, healthy skin IS possible during winter…read on for all the goodness and click on the product links to get more info!!
L to R: Argan Oil, Ultra Repair Cream, Orange & Ginger Scrub, Pearl Face Mask, Shea Lip Mask
Sephora Pearl Face Mask (Perfecting & Brightening)
Aromatherapy Energy Orange & Ginger Scrub, by Bath & Body Works
First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
Advanced Clinicals Argan Oil
Sephora Shea Lip Mask (Protecting & Repairing)
- Sephora Pearl Face Mask (Perfecting & Brightening) – Keep it bright, keep it tight. Dull skin is the worst during the winter and no amount of makeup will fix it, trust. So keep that skin looking like it just came back from the Amalfi Coast with this brightening and perfecting mask.
When to use: Once a week, before bed. Massage the excess product into the skin after removing the mask. Apply additional moisturizer only if you feel it’s necessary.
2. Aromatherapy Energy Orange & Ginger Scrub, by Bath & Body Works – This is a body scrub, but the grains are fine enough so that you can use it on your face as well. Just apply a pea-size amount, scrub gently, and get those gross dead skin flakes off already. They got no business being on that boujie little face of yours, winter or not.
When to use: The orange + ginger combo is a great wake up for the skin and senses, so use it in the morning during your AM shower, 2-3x per week! If your skin is more sensitive or prone to breakouts, keep it to 1x a week.
3. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream, Intense Hydration – I mean the name really says it all. This has been my go-to moisturizer for almost 2 years now. It doesn’t feel heavy or oily, but it seals in moisture alllll day. Bonus: the 2oz. travel size is only $12 at Sephora, and it lasts for quite some time. I use it twice a day and only need to buy a new one every 2-3 months or so.
When to use: Daily, morning and night. Blend with a tinted moisturizer in the morning if you’re into that, and blend with the next product I’m about to cover at night for an extra boost of moisture.
4. Advanced Clinicals Argan Oil – Argan oil has been all the rage for a while now. It’s used in shampoos, moisturizers, masks, serums, you name it. Several different brands have their own version of the product, but I stumbled upon the one by Advanced Clinicals randomly online and loved it because the $15 price tag was amazing compared to other brands. The oil not only moisturizes the skin, it gets rid of redness, smoothes fine lines, and overall gives your face a soft touch and a clean glow. I promise that you will feel the difference after using it a few times. It even shrinks any breakouts or acne bumps….can we say #miracleoil?
When to use: Once a day, at night before bed, and blend it with your primary moisturizer. This way you use less product, and I found that the oil works even better when blended with a cream-based product of some sort, rather than completely alone on the face. Put some of the Ultra Repair Cream in your palm, squirt just a touch of the argan oil from the dropper, blend the two together, and moisturize away.
5. Sephora Shea Lip Mask (Protecting & Repairing) – This is one of those products that you either love or you don’t. Lip masks are not for everyone, but I wanted to include it in my list because I think people forget about lips when moisturizing, aside from using a quick lip balm while running out the door. Lips really take a beating in the winter, and it’s important to exfoliate them and pamper them the way you would with the rest of your gorgeous mug! This Shea-based lip mask by Sephora is only $3 and has all the ingredients to make your lips feel baby-soft after use.
When to use: Every 2 weeks, when you obviously do not have makeup on around your lips. Use some of that orange & ginger scrub I mentioned before to exfoliate gently, apply the mask, chill for 15 minutes, and remove. I wouldn’t rub the excess product into your lips for this one…just rinse it off, put on your lip balm, and you’re good.
So there you have it, boujies. Good skin doesn’t only need to be a rare summer occurrence, or when you have a tan. Winter sucks, but with a little extra care and small additions to your routine, you can look fresh year-round and be blissfully oblivious to what season it is. If you have any additional winter skin regimen suggestions or habits you swear by, let me know in the comments!!
Xx – Raele