It’s January 1st, and it’s a Monday. This means there literally could not be a better day or date to start off life on the right foot. You know it’s true. We all have this ultimate #MotivationMonday to make 2018 our best year yet – take on new challenges, work towards our goals, among other glorious and noble things.
But nothing starts out right when you harbor negative thoughts. And if there’s one thing I’ve personally learned from 2017, your perception truly is your reality. Your thoughts dictate everything, so that whole “new year, new me” thing isn’t going to get you very far when your thoughts and mindset are still in the shitter.
That’s why I decided to take a step back on this lovely New Year’s Day, and before talking about goals and keeping those infamous resolutions, I wanted to share some…mantras, if you will…to first help establish a positive thought process for the new year. Consider this the foundation for your goals in the coming year; it comes before you can successfully do anything else. Read on!
1. Be genuinely proud of everything you’ve accomplished in life up to this point. Don’t waste time on regrets or self-loathing. Be content, acknowledge you want to do better, and move forward.
2. You have at least 3 blessings you can cherish right at this moment. The fact that you have access to this post, most likely through a gadget that’s upwards of $1,000, means you are already incredibly lucky. Really think about that and be grateful for each day you’re alive and have all of the comforts that you do.
3. Aside from the people closest to you who want to see you do well, and whose opinions you genuinely value, with all do respect, fuck what other people think. Do these people pay your bills? Do they have the courage to do what you choose to do every day? Or do they just judge from their sad little corner? Once again, do they pay your bills?! Honestly, DO YOU and whatever suits your livelihood…as long as it’s not harming others physically, you’re good. Life is honestly just too short.
4. You’re not the first and you won’t be the last to go through whatever negative thing you’ve experienced in life. The universe isn’t out to get you. Yes, bad things happen – you may have a bad day or week or month or year (cue Friends theme song), but always remind yourself that positive vibes are on your side, and they truly will be.
5. People’s behavior towards you, 99.9% of the time, has nothing to do with you. It’s out of your hands. Totally not in your control. If a stranger has ridiculous road rage over you forgetting to signal, that’s not because of you, it’s because of their issues. If a friend was upset with you, so you both discussed the issue and made up, but he/she is still acting nasty after the fact, that’s no longer because of you, it’s because of their subconscious insecurities. So don’t take things personally, and try your best not to get angry. The more you’re concerned with why someone is acting a certain way, the more you’re taking away from the energy you should be using on furthering yourself.
6. Don’t worry, be happy. Easier said than done, but the small stuff, and even some of the big stuff, doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. We are each one small speck on this beautiful planet, which is just one planet in this vast universe, which is only one universe out of the thousands in this galaxy, which is a single galaxy in the infinite space. Look up at the stars, remember how small you are, and be at ease about it all.
7. Embrace today. This moment. Right now. Do you ever look back on a moment from 5 years ago and think “that was such a fun time – I was young, thin, pretty, outgoing, had no cares” etc? Well fast-forward 5 years, and you’ll be just as nostalgic about today and all the things you have right now. So just appreciate the present while you’re in it! Looking back with rose-colored glasses may be the easy thing to do, but it’s a honestly a cop-out from focusing on making your current moment great.
8. No one else is you, and that is your power. We all have something special to bring to the table, and it’s our responsibility in life to realize what that is. Maybe you already have, maybe you’re still working on it. Don’t freak out if you’re still in the process of figuring it out…you’re not too old and it’s not too late (get those negative thoughts outta there!). Just remember that you are unique, and the best discoveries sometimes happen by accident. Take a breath and try to appreciate the process.
So, fellow boujies, I hope these 8 mantras help you create and keep a healthy mindset for the new year, so you can be on the path to accomplishing anything you want. It’s all out there for you to grab, but before the goals are set and the hard work begins, you must harbor the right thoughts to allow greatness to flow. Happy 2018!!!!
Xx – Raele